Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA) provides evidence-based health content to mothers in low resource settings, via mobile messaging. MAMA’s founding partners are USAID, Johnson & Johnson and BabyCenter.
Thrive has delivered over 5,000 health and behaviour change messages, improving the health of over three million pregnant women and mothers of infants up to three years old.
Used by more than 160 organisations in over 50 countries around the world, the messages have been translated into 24 languages.
The Health Alliance International working in Timor-Leste found the message programme made measurable differences in people’s health behaviours:
- Use of a skilled birth attendant increased substantially
- Deliveries at a health facility increased by 17%
- The number of women having postpartum care doubled.
VOTO Mobile working in Ghana found similar results:
- The numbers of women sleeping under a mosquito net doubled
- 78% of women exclusively breastfed their babies (up from 44%)
- Three quarters of women took their baby to hospital when they were ill